Monday, April 4, 2011

A Bamboo Architecture/Design Legend and a Dear Friend

I am fortunate enough to have a met a true legend in Bamboo architecture and design, Aldo Landwehr.  We met in Treasure Cay, Bahamas where both of our families have vacation homes.  We instantly clicked when we learned that we were both so passionate about sustainable design.  Very quick in our conversation he noticed I was wearing a John Hardy bracelet and commented on it. I said thanks and noticed he was wearing one as well.  Aldo was one of the creative geniuses behind the jewelers highly reputable collections.  He worked side by side with John Hardy to design and create amazing collections that are sold world-wide.

John Hardy is extremely passionate about sustainability and education.  Aldo and John Hardy collaborated together to design a school in Bali, Indonesia that is made entirely of bamboo.  Aldo and his team at PT Bambu designed and built all the structures for the school.  Here are just a few pics of the incredibleness that came about in Green School Bali.

Aldo Landwehr-my friend and my inspiration

Classroom interior

Main hall at Green School Bali

Bridge

Kindergarden classroom.  Magnificent, just amazing.


 Aldo and I in Guana Cay, Bahamas

Aldo died in 2009 in Bali.  He was in his early thirties and left us way too soon.  Aldo and I planned on possibly working together in Bali, which is something that I still dream of doing in his honor.  Not only was Aldo a creative force to be reckon with, but he was a sweet and endearing person.  I am so incredibly thankful to have been inspired and enriched by Aldo.  There cannot be enough words to explain your significance in the world, Aldo.  I miss you dearly and will continue to make you proud in my endeavors of sustainable design.     

To learn more about Green School Bali, visit their website http://www.greenschool.org/



1 comment:

  1. This was a beautiful write-up of a wonderful person. Thank you for doing this , and I hope and pray that the example he set in his beleifs will be continued and carried on by millions of people. That way, WE can make the world a better place...Thank you ,Aldo. You will never be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete